Boards & Commissions

☰ Our Town Pages

For Minutes & Agendas, visit the Public Documents pageopens in a new window.

Apply To Serve

The Town of Bargersville is currently accepting applications to fill Board and Commission seats for the remainder of the 2019 term. There are openings to serve on the Redevelopment Commission, Economic Development Commission and the Board of Metropolitan Police Commissioners.

To be considered for the remainder of 2019 your application must be received by 8:00 a.m. Wednesday, September 18, 2019. 

We ask that you submit a Letter of Interest, Résumé and Board & Commission Applicationopens in a new window to:

Email: [email protected]

Mail: Town of Bargersville
Attn: Clerk-Treasurer
24 N. Main Street Bargersville, IN 46106

Or in person: Town Hall front office: 7:00 a – 3:30 p Mon-Fri.

Thank you for your interest in serving the people of Bargersville!

The Town of Bargersville’s Boards and Commissions provide citizens the opportunity to have a voice in local government. Members are appointed either by Council or Executive appointment. Each of the Boards and Commissions has an area of focus, further explained below. This is your opportunity to be involved in shaping the future of the Town.

Plan Commission

The Plan Commission is a 7-member advisory commission whose duty is to protect the public health, safety, morals, convenience, prosperity, and general welfare of Bargersville residents. The Plan Commission’s responsibilities include advising the Town Council on zoning matters, approving primary plats, and amendments to the Comprehensive Plan. Meetings are on the third Monday of each month at 6:30pm at Town Hall.

Board of Zoning Appeals

The Board of Zoning Appeals is a 5-member Quasi Judicial body that hears cases on zoning variances and special exceptions. Variances are measured upon the practical difficulty of meeting the standards of the ordinance for a particular site. Special exceptions are uses of land and structure that are not essentially incompatible with the other permitted uses of a zoning district, but which possess characteristics of operation or locational qualities that may require individual review and restriction. Meetings are on the fourth Monday of each month at 7:00pm at Town Hall.

For applications for projects reviewed by these two bodies, visit the Permits & Applications pageopens in a new window.

Parks Advisory Board

The Parks Advisory Board is a 6-member advisory board responsible for recommendations to Town Council on matters pertaining to the establishment, aid, maintenance, and operation of public parks, playgrounds, and recreational facilities and programs. Meetings are on the third Monday of each month at 5:00pm at Town Hall.

Storm Water Utility Board

The Storm Water Utility Board is a 3-member board responsible for outlining the Town’s Storm Water Management Plan, which implements six (6) storm water control measures to minimize the amount of pollutants entering through drains or nearby waterways to comply with IDEM requirements. Meetings are typically on the fourth Monday of each month at 5:00pm at Town Hall.

Metropolitan Board of Police Commissioners

The Metropolitan Board of Police Commissioners (MBPC) appoints the members of the Town’s police department, subject to the qualifications for employment determined by the MBPC and approved by the Town Council, and to appoint the Town’s police chief. The MBPCis also given the authority to appoint other employees to carry out the work of the department. The MBPC may recommend and the Town Council shall determine the compensation to be paid to members of the police department. The MBPC may make general and special rules for the government and discipline of the police department.

Redevelopment Commission

The Redevelopment Commission oversees and administrates the redevelopment needs and tax districts in the Town of Bargersville and consists of five members appointed by the Town Council. Redevelopment Commissioners determine areas needing development, promote the use of land in a manner that best serves tax units and residents, works with departments and agencies to serve the area, and plans and acquires areas needing redevelopment in the manner that best serves the social and economic interest of the area and its residents.

Economic Development Commission

The Economic Development Commission (EDC) primarily permits the use of conduit financing to enable private companies to borrow funds using the municipality’s name (usually to benefit from the municipality’s tax exempt status or the TIF generated by the private development) to finance economic development projects. The EDC is required to investigate, study, and survey the need for additional job opportunities, industrial diversification, water services, and pollution control facilities in the municipality, and shall recommend action to improve or promote job opportunities, industrial diversification, water services and availability of pollution control facilities in the municipality.